Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Much-Maligned Gull

I know everyone hates seagulls, but I love them. I think they are adorable and hilarious. They always have that grumpy, sour look in their beaks, as if they were displeased, vinegary cats, and their feathers are so white and smooth that I imagine petting one would be incredibly soft and satisfying.

I just found these gulls photos from Schoodic in Maine that I took on my vacation back in May. I don't know if anyone will love them like I do, but it's my blog so I'm just posting all of them :D haha!
The gulls in Schoodic seemed more ecologically naive than others I'd seen, so I was able to get pretty close and took pictures of this one (later joined by a friend) for about 20 minutes.




How terpsichorean!


At the end there were two that got into all kinds of tableaux.






Just hating everything!




The awkward, ballerinalike things they do as they clean themselves are another thing that reminds me of a cat, trying to lick every bit of its legs.


I love how abstract they become as they preen - like little headless puffs.

No comments: