Monday, March 3, 2008

Silver Worlds, Part HUGE

Today I went to Home Depot and got a big door (28" x 78") - no handle or anything, just a door. I've been planning for many months to do a large version - epic, actually - of Heavenly Creatures but due to the size of the door panels I want to work with, haven't been able to (I have a Dodge Neon = :( )

My brother is here for a week of psring break so with his helpful presence I decided to see if I could fit a door in the car with it sticking out of the trunk a little. The 28x78 was the biggest that would fit - I also wanted to get two 36x78s for the big rabbit a few posts back - but with some bungee cords and ingenuity we got the door back to the studio without mishap. I'll have to get the other panels another time in another vehicle.

It is Really Big. I've already purchased the silver leaf for gilding it, so there's really nothing stopping me from getting started. I just need to paint it black and put down 15 square feet of silver. It;'s the biggest thing I've ever done, so that's exciting but a little scary!

Also, I have to decide what to do on it - rabbits? fish? I'd like to revisit the lengthy fox from the upper left of Heavenly Creatures, but not sure if I'd like to do that on a smaller piece. Contemplating whether it will be compositionally better/more saleable/room compatible as a horizontal or as a vertical piece. Horizontally it could go above a mantelpiece or a couch - vertically it is maybe more imposing, but harder to hang since it's 6.5 feet tall.
Hmmm. Time for some PREPARATORY SKETCHES, METHINKS.

No comments: