Monday, February 18, 2008

Rabbits and Bears

This one is a detail of a large watercolor that I started in the summer of 06, and have recently resumed work on after 2 years of doing mostly acrylic painting. I love the effects and depth you can acheive with acrylic, but watercolor and gouache are still my favorite media. I feel totally conmfortable with them and free to explore without worrying about technical issues. I stretched + dyed this paper using heavy washes of watercolor, and now am going back in with watercolor and gouache, and maybe some touches of acrylic later if I really need opaque white effects and the paper has become too pigment-saturated for gouache to go down cleanly.

Rabbit Court, watercolor and gouache on Arches Cover Buff, in progress, 15"x22"

Here's a scan from my sketchbook, probably done about 2 years ago now; in spring of 06. A comic detailing a Eurotrash party I attended in Grantham, Pennsylvania.

2 comments:

Jack said...

This is beautiful -- I love the color and the dreamscape feeling it has.

Can I link to your art blog on my blogroll?

kkp said...

i wish i made more money so i could afford a grant hanna original.

i love your stuff, grant.