Friday, February 29, 2008

Sound of Silver


This is a piece I'm donating to Montserrat College of Art's Artrageous fundraiser, a juried auction/show. I'm a little sad to give it up, after working on it (on + off) for three years (I know!!) but hopefully it will be selected by the jury and get some good publicity. And I suppose supporting education is always a worthwhile contribution. The colors on these black ones have inevitably become warped in the uploading process, but if you click to view larger they look a little better.

Here it is from an angle so you can see the framing. I gilded (silvered? :s) the inside lip of the frame to produce an intimate little mirrored enclosure. Thanks Tim for technical expertise!!!!

Just for kicks here's the painting with the creatures (very hurriedly) photoshopped out. Actually a really helpful step that got me thinking about different compositional possibilities in the series.

Sketches for Silver Worlds series.
In an effort to be more focusing I'm going to be selecting a few pieces in the coming days and expanding them into series of about 1-0 pieces each - maybe I will choose ten types and thus have 100 artworks. We'll see. When I'm 28 or 29 I'll be able to have a show :P
The Silver Worlds idea is exciting I think because it will lend itself to a lot of permutations: space, underwater, caves(?) - obviously they don't all need to be set in naturally dark environments either.
From The Vault

Cicada God from large Moleskin, about a year ago. See The Space Trilogy, C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

liz said...

I hope that you keep track of that donation and claim it on next years taxes!

PS I hope that I get at chance to see it completed version in person before it goes away...