Sunday, June 1, 2008

Persian Megature


Work continues on the Megature...on Friday evening I was assisted by my excellent assistant Susie, who's heping me for the summer, and we got a lot done. I'm hoping to pick up two more panels for I Am From Battles! and get that underway this week. Had been planning on leaving it as blank wood, but now have decided that it just needs to be gilded. But I will be using composite gold ( = fake) instead of 23 kt.


Here's an image of progress so far. I've washed in most of the clouds except in some up-in-the-air areas. I need to make some decisions soon as to how much empty space there will be vs. the clustered forms in the central bottom right (hehe). But I think more rather than less. Also, still need to work in a horse.


Here's the rabbit pieces I have going so far (and the ubiquitous sketch for Battles! in the background). I have a panel in preparation for Conquered Rabbit but really want to get back to work on Revolution Rabbit as well...so much to do! And prep for Brood Nurse is coming along really well too; I have some novel embossing going on that I think will make it quite distinguished.


Thousand-year rooster, Persian Megature


Heaven-hound, Persian Megature


Tiger, Persian Megature
***
Also, next week Philip and I are going to NYC to see the Takashi Murakami show at the Brooklyn Museum. He is my favorite living artist (probably?) and I am very very excited.

1 comment:

Chelsea the Tomboy said...

Hey, I just found this blog sort of by accident after looking up the word "megature" on Google in search of a definition haha. My name is Chelsea White; I'm a freshman art major at Gordon, and I just saw your Rabbit Paintings display in Barrington a few days ago. I gotta say, that was love at first sight. Those paintings have a certain aspect of peace and harmony intertwined perfectly with this deep power that grabs me by the collar of the shirt and blows me away. Seeing these pictures of the paintings as works in progress is wonderful after having seen all the finished products. Your other stuff on your website is also really remarkable; your art is inspiring and captures my imagination. I don't know what my concentration is yet; I thought it would be drawing or painting but after having seen what you do and knowing what you're doing as a career now, I'm really not sure! Anyways, I guess I don't know how to wrap this up, except to say to keep painting!! I'll be following your stuff on your website, for sure!!